Melty, salty, and flavorful- what more could one want from an appetizer? I’m a cheese fanatic. Fondue is my ultimate meal and I jump at the opportunity to recreate cheesy dishes at home. This delicious appetizer is perfectly crusty and gooey at the same time and extremely simple! Perfect for a crowd– you can prepare this dish early in the day and simply pop it under the broiler when guests arrive.
Baked Fontina- adapted from How Easy is That? by Ina Garten (my culinary idol)
- 1 1/2 lbs best Italian fontina possible, rind removed and cubed into 1-inch pieces (preferably a salty fontina)
- 6 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 3 cloves roasted garlic, mashed
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Cube, Chop, Mince, Mash and scatter in a single layer in a cast iron pan. Mix well so that spices and herbs are evenly distributed. Drizzle olive oil over mixture. Adjust top rack of oven to be 5 inches away from the broiler and pre-heat. Bake for 8-10 minutes while monitoring closely. I love this with a crispy bubbling crust but if you prefer it less well done I would suggest 5-6 minutes.
Serve with a crusty baguette, sliced vegetables, or minced and slightly roasted potatoes and enjoy!